Tuesday 25 March 2014

LGS Gaming Marathon - Charity, Progress and Too Much Food


On Saturday 22nd March, I attended a 24 hour charity gaming marathon hosted by the University of Lincoln Gaming Society (LGS). It was set up to raise money for "Child's Play"; a great cause I support myself every year through Extra Life as it makes such a difference for seriously ill children worldwide.

I took along my PS3 and a disc copy of Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen, as well as all of the downloaded PS+ Titles I had on the Hard Drive. My intent was to play through Far Cry 3 and start to play Dragons Dogma, however like the best laid plans, these went completely out of the window in reality.

Initially I played through Far Cry 3 for 9 hours until I realised just how similar each hour felt; a symptom of having such a large, open world environment with not much in the way of structured activities. Sadly I won't be going back to it as part of the backlog - I had my fill and felt content that I didn't want to progress any further.

Post Far Cry, I played through Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons from start to finish, relishing every second of it. An amazing narrative driven experience without a single word of English being said throughout. The way that the various game mechanics are used to convey emotion and impact is near inspirational, as well as the actual gameplay being fun. I'll write a full review for it soon.

There were about 40 people in attendance, if not more which was great to see as there was such a variety in terms of games being played. So many tastes were at work and it showed me just how many games I had missed out on by buying so many and playing them.

The then hilarious part of the amount of people in attendance, was when we ordered pizza from Dominos. One of the organisers put the worker on the phone on loud speaker, ordered around £650 worth of pizza and then informed him of our valid 50% off voucher. To be fair the guy laughed it off and got a huge round of applause, but sleep deprivation is a damned thing and worked wonders for my appetite for humour and Italian food.

                                                                                                                                            Source: pizzanews
Garlic and Herb crust dip - THE best invention ever?

I then started a playthrough of Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, however I sadly only made it 18 hours into the marathon before my old age kicked in and made me so tired and grouchy that I had to leave, meaning that I only got a few hours into R. A. Salvatore's world before having to give up and go home for much needed sleep.

Overall, it was a great event and I got to meet some amazing people who were all working together to raise money for children who need as much help as they can get, I made some great progress on my quest to destroy my backlog and my only thing to write about and ended up managing to raise £123.45 as a group. Interestingly precise!

Who said video games were all bad?



No comments:

Post a Comment