Friday 21 February 2014

Concerningly Co-op: On the Borderlands of Bravery

Alongside the single player games I've started, I like to keep things fresh(?) with co-op games. I find that having some accountability makes me finish the game and that playing with friends is actually pretty fun. The game this time is:


Borderlands 2 (PC)


This Shootem/Lootem/Jokem'up is best described as what feels like a playable Adult Swim game full of colourful graphics, characters, weapons and plenty of loot; these things polarised by a pulse pounding and wildly varying soundtrack that keeps the action going when you need it to but is able to set a mood when looking at the beautiful cel-shaded vistas this title provides for you.

The gameplay itself up to what I've experienced has been great - tight shooting mechanics from a great range of weapons that all feel distinct from each other even though they are randomly generated. For instance I know that my Dahl rifle feels greatly different from the Jakobs version I also have in my inventory.

This paved the way for a game that has made me excited to pick up the loot from my slain enemies rather than like Diablo where it's raining swords that although have different numbers on them, are merely a key to getting more DPS/a way of working towards your current build.

Playing with another person adds a whole new dimension to it also, the game feels like your personal MMO where you and your friends can explore the weird and wonderful world of Pandora and the vile little creatures that plague it, having moments of sheer disbelief and humour.

For example, Jake and I were simply looking around for look on what looked to be a farm with Varkids (annoying little insect creatures) when all of a sudden a fleet of flying helicopter-cum-plane machines called Buzzards came soaring over from the ridge towards us, the enemies inside humming "Ride of the Valkyries" as they rained rounds down upon us. This lead myself and Jake to one of the most difficult yet entertaining battles we've had in our time with the game so far, forcing us to work as a real team and taking it in turn to poke our heads out and take pot shots at the flying machines.

It's moment such as that which keep me going back to the game when I can - based so far on what I've played, I'd wholly recommend it to anyone looking for a time sink (it can last with DLC for over 100 hours) or anyone looking for a game to play with an SO or group of friends.

I'll talk a hell of a lot more about it when finished, I assure you of that, but it'll probably be weeks until a full writeup is shared. 

I'll pop up any more great moments we have with the game as and when we have them.

I'll also leave you with this:


No comments:

Post a Comment